Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Adventures in Mind Control?

Yes, it's been a long time since I've posted, changes are on the horizon as you will soon see, and hopefully they will allow me more time and energy to continue to blog, because it is something I really enjoy. 

I'm going to give you some background information so you can see how I ended up in the state I was in until just a few days ago....

I've always been an overachiever, the multi-tasker, the go to person. The Adminstrative Assistant that made her boss look oh, so good, the Property Manager who was given the "big name" clients whilst also performing tasks that the accountant did not have time to complete. That was my life for over 10 years... in late 2009 it all came crashing down.  I can not even tell you when it started, but there came a point when I knew it was too much... way too much... so much so that I actually went to my boss and asked for help... help was promised, but help never came. My occasional migraines became every day occurrences... Sometimes rendering me bed ridden for three days at a time. Sometimes I was so overwhelmed I could do nothing but sit at my desk and cry.  Doctors appointments, psychiatrists, medications only kept me holding on to by thin thread. Things were slipping through the cracks....  I lost my mind, I lost my job.  It took a year and a 2,000 mile move home for me to recover... well, recover isn't really the best word, maybe function is better.  Some days I can handle two things at a time, but most days one thing is all I can handle. I can't think or plan ahead, I have to wait until the first thing is completed before moving on to something else or I am frozen in panic, indecision and confusion.  I put on a good front, most people didn't realize much was different, until recently where things started to slip on facebook.  More and more posts about being confused, lost, overwhelmed etc.   Which leads us to this past weekend...

I was at a party... someone asked me about an upcoming event... my response was something to the effect of I have no idea, I haven't thought about it, I can't think about it, I'm too confused. A friend of mine overheard and she said something about a recent post of mine on facebook to the same effect and asked me if I'd ever heard of Dr. Joyce Meyer. which I had, but have never read any of her books. She recommended "Battlefield of the Mind" which she had just finished but was getting ready to re-read as it was so good and she knew she could get more out of it the second time.  I immediately went to my Kindle, purchased and downloaded it. I began reading it that night.... Saturday, December 8th.


The very basic precept of this book is that, we are in a battle, the battle is in our mind, the devil is our enemy, he bombards our mind with suspicion, doubt, fear, confusion in a well laid plan to fill our mind with "strongholds," areas in which our thinking holds us in bondage.   God has given us weapons to tear down these strongholds. They are the Word of God, received through prayer, preaching, books, CD's etc; prayer and praise.

So, with the help this book (I'm about 30% of the way through it) a new  Bible App on my Kindle in which I have selected two reading plans, one to read the New Testament in a year, and one to read the Old Testament in two years, a notebook to write down my prayer requests, prayers and praises, and a re-acquaintance with Christian radio, I am on my way.  On my way to changing and learning to control my thoughts and tearing down the strongholds Satan has built in my mind.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

2 comments:

  1. You can do it Christine...hang in there! best wishes...melody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the blogosphere. Very scary stuff to open up about! It takes great courage to open and be honest about these types of things. Turn your life over to God and let him guide you. Your mind is not in control. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete