Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Adventures in Kindess

While perusing Pinterest I've come across several ideas for spreading joy.  I am so blessed in my life that I decided to take the little things that I already do a bit further.  I'm also using some of the ideas I find to plant seeds into the minds of my Webelos Den. (For those of you not familiar with Cub Scouts, Webelos are 4th and 5th graders; Webelos stands for We'll Be Loyal Scouts.) Webelos are preparing to become Boy Scouts, and since the Boy Scout Motto is "Do a Good Turn Daily" I've been talking about the phrase I have adopted "Random Acts of Kindness."  Check out this amazing blog entry about how one blogger spent her birthday doing random acts of kindness.  How I Celebrated my Birthday (aka 38 random acts of Robyn)

While this little project is not random; I often send this particular friend little mementos to brighten her day,  I thought this idea (once again, found on pinterest) was an idea that is easy for everyone to do.  As a matter of fact, the original blogger used these for her husband and children, I also saw a pin where it was used during Teacher Appreciation week. 



The original design used a 7 day pill box, but I couldn't find one of the large ones. What I did find was a 7 bin craft organizer that is about the same size as a large pill box. 

1.  Simply fill the compartments with little treats. For this particular gift I used individually wrapped items as, in this instance, I was concerned with even the smallest germs.  For others I have planned I plan on splitting bags of Skittles, M&M's etc.  among different boxes.  

2.  On top of the treat I have placed a hand written note of encouragement. The original design had printed them out on the computer, and even had a page to download for you to print off yourself.  If I ever find the website again I will add it to this post. But I think hand written sentiments are much more personal and uplifting.


3.  Since the box is pretty see through and I wanted the contents to be a surprise, I wrapped the bottom of the box in pretty paper.  I added stickers  to the top of each compartment for the days of the week since I wasn't using a pill box.  Then I added just a bit of embellishment. 

This is going out in the mail tomorrow, but since the recipient reads my blog, I'll have to hold this post for a few days so I don't ruin her surprise.  Update: upon receiving the box, my friend opened every compartment, so I was able to post this sooner than I expected.  By the way, she loved it so much she was in tears.

I hope you take some time to do a random act of kindness soon!

3 comments:

  1. Bravo, Chris! Love you and the recipient! What an inspiration you both are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the recipient! As a current patient undergoing treatment you try your hardest to spread your own joy in living and life....but every once in awhile you allow yourself to breakdown and let the hurt fade. It had been building up and when I opened this thoughtful gift - the wall broke down. Yes I opened every day! - I couldnt help myself - each hand written note was personal and precious and I knew it came from a genuine place. Chris has not only paid it forward - from her heart to mine.... she has no idea the ripple effect this will have. I will tresure this always and wait for the day when I no longer fill it with pills but fill it with earrings and such!!! I love you! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post thanks for sharing...i found your blog thrue other follower im looking for to visit more...blessings

    ReplyDelete