Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Oh, Christmas Tree!



One thing I love about blogging, is the more blogs you read, the more topics you come up with.  I hope no one gets offended when I use their topics. Once again, this great blog topic came from Amiee. Her blog Promises and Secrets  is one of my favorites.



The Christmas tree is one of my very favorite Christmas traditions. (I mean, who doesn't love a Christmas tree!) Starting in the late 70's or early 80's my Grandma began doing themed Christmas tree's. She would change the theme every few years.  One year we spent hours poking fabric into styrofoam balls to make "quilted" ornaments.  One year it was all "sugared" toy ornaments,  toy soldiers, rocking horses etc, very cute.  The last themed tree my Grandma had was very beautiful, it was all gold and ivory, she used this for several years before she died, and when she was gone, I took over with that theme, which I kept, adding and deleting ornaments, for almost 10 years after she was gone.  The pictures above are from 2003, the last year I had the "fancy tree" (Dominic's first Christmas).  Hubby and I agreed that once we had kids, we would switch to a "fun" tree (as he called it). 

12/7/11 Revision: So while working on my next entry I pulled up the 2004 Christmas pictures and low and behold, there was my lovely ivory and gold tree.  So, now a quest to determine when we actually switched to the "fun" tree... ( I think maybe for the first few years I allowed "fun" ornaments like Star Wars ornaments etc on the fancy tree... the colored lights thing was hard for me to swallow)



We've had a few live trees,  one year, hubby even impressed the man at the Christmas Tree stand by fitting a 9 1/2' Christmas tree completely inside our tiny little Ford Festiva.  He shoved it in the hatch back, trunk first until the trunk of the tree was on the dashboard, then folded the tip top of the tree over and closed the hatch. (They did wrap the tree in one of those nets or else it probably would never have worked).  Last year, we also had a live tree (pictured above) because our humble farm house does not boast the cathedral ceilings that our house in Las Vegas had, and our 9' artificial tree would not fit.  Personally, I prefer the artificial anyway, no watering, no needles all over the floor (or in your feet). So after Christmas last year we hit the after Christmas sales and bought a smaller pre-lit tree.  We got one for Dominic's playroom too (an even smaller and not pre-lit, we paid under $10 for it.) He loves having his very own tree in his playroom,  it is pictured below.




The fun tree has retained a few fancy ornaments, but now boasts colored lights (in addition to the white lights that came on the Pre-lit tree).  Of course the most "fun" things about this tree are the ornaments. Each has its own story, which is a blog topic in itself, sounds like a good one for tomorrow.
And finally, this year's tree...




So with that, I'll leave you to begin taking pictures of some of our favorite Christmas ornaments. Merry Christmas to you and happy decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment