Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge







1. Of all the tools and gadgets you own which do you most enjoy using?
I would have to say my Kitchenaid stand mixers.  Yes, mixers plural, I enjoyed using my first one so much, that when my Aunt wanted to get rid of hers, I bought a second, it has come in handy having two!  Whenever I am using my mixer I know something good will soon be arriving (even if I don't always get to eat it).

2. When (if ever) is impatience a virtue?
I think impatience can be a virtue (defined as moral excellence and righteousness; goodness) if it keeps you from being lazy.  If you are busy doing things because you are impatient for them to be done, or impatient for a little "me time" thats goodness in my book.  

3. What temperature do you keep your thermostat set to in winter? Do you have another way to heat your house besides a furnace of some type?
We usually keep it 72 degrees and we use electric space heaters in a few areas for extra warmth when needed.  This year we are trying something new however.  We have purchased an electric infared heater and so far, even though it has been in the low 30's several times we have not turned on our furnace yet this year.  This infared heater is touted to maintain your home's temp with low electric costs.  So far it has done a great job of keeping the temp at 72 degrees.  So, we've decided to try to not turn on our furnace this year as the cost of propane is so outrageous.  "But your electric bill will skyrocket," you say.  Well,  we are figuring the electricity cost of running the infared should be no more than the electricity cost of the furnace blower (which seems to run constantly in the winter) so in theory this will actually save us money as we won't be using any propane.  This is an experiment, we'll see how it goes.

4. Do/did you have a close relationship with any of your grandparents?
I had a very close relationship with my maternal grandmother before she passed away when I was 23.  She was always there for me and my siblings. 
5. When did you last have a family portrait taken?
Our last family portrait was taken about a year ago, we will be taking another one very soon.  We always try to have a family portrait done around Christmas.

6. What does the word patriotism mean to you?
Oh what a tough one.  I think patriotism means supporting your country in the spirit in which our founding fathers created it.  Even though I do not agree with most of the things going on in our country today, this is still a great country where we are free to make choices and free to try to change the way things are done if we don't like it. 

7. Do you like to play cards and if so, what's your favorite card game?
I am more of a board game person, although I do spend a lot of time playing Spider Solitaire on the computer, however, I would probably be disowned by several family members and most of my former classmates and kicked out of the state of Michigan if I did not say that Euchre was my favorite card game.  I do love to play, I'm just not very good at it. LOL.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Veterans Day is Friday.  Although neither my husband nor I served in the armed forces, we both have several relatives and friends who did.  I wholeheartily support the men and women who are serving and have served this country.  You may not agree with the politics and policies of the current or former administrations, you may not agree with the wars we are involved in, but these men and women put their lives in danger and their families on hold, to protect the freedoms that make this country so great (and get paid very little to do so). 
This will be our second Veteran's Day since we moved back to Michigan from Las Vegas, and I am really missing the annual air show at Nellis Air Force Base, we never missed it when we lived there.  Maybe next year we'll take a vacation to Las Vegas in November for the air show and to see some great friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment