Friday, November 18, 2011

Adventures with Fergie


This is Fergie. Her full name is Fergie, the Duchess of Yorkie.  Fergie is my baby girl, literally. She is my consolation prize for not having any more human children. I get to put pretty bows in her hair and dress her up, and she tolerates it (most of the time).  

Fergie is not a teacup Yorkie.  In fact, she is quite large for a Yorkie, tipping the scales at 12 lbs.  When I first decided I wanted a Yorkie, I thought I wanted a teacup, but one major factor changed my mind and his name was Cody.  At the time we decided that I could have a baby girl puppy, hubby had a 110 lb Doberman Pinscher, if he (or one of us for that matter) accidentally stepped on a little bitty teacup Yorkie -  crunch - major broken bones and life threatening injuries. So I settled for, based on the size of her parents,  what we all assumed would be about an 8lb Yorkie. Well, I guess she was the husky girl of the litter.


So, at 5 mos of age,  Fergie came to live with us at our home in sunny Henderson, NV where she promptly won the hearts of mommy, human brother Dominic and canine brother Cody, even Mimi and her dog Cotton who were visiting from Michigan loved her immediately.  Daddy on the other hand... well it took awhile to win him over (but now she has him wrapped around her little paw).

Here is a picture of Cody & Fergie cuddling.

The first two years of Fergie's life were quite adventurous for me.  She really was (as my mother in law liked to say) a toddler with fur.  Potty training was a big issue for her, as well as chewing and tearing things up (which did not help her win daddy's heart).  One day, she discovered the guest bathroom....



unfortunately, the evidence pointed directly to her...
 

so, she was put in "time-out".

When Fergie was about one year old, she had double surgery, she was spayed and had dewclaws removed from all four paws.  As was her custom, she found the most comfortable spot she could to recuperate... a fluffy couch pillow.



a few days later Dr. George decided to remove the bandages from her paws... and... she decided to chew at the stitches.


enter the "cone of shame".

When Fergie was about 1 1/2 we moved from sunny Henderson, NV back to our home state of Michigan.  This was something very new for Fergie, she wasn't use to grass, and she really didn't want to go potty on it, maybe it tickled her, who knows, but thankfully, she's OK with it now.  Then the leaves started to fall... oh what fun she and Dominic had becoming acquainted with autumn.



But that was nothing compared to what she discovered in mid November of that first year. 


She wasn't sure what to think of it... but she was very sure to check it out as closely as possible. By mid December when the big snows came... she decided that she LOVED IT!


This is where daddy came up with one of her nick names, "Snow Lion."

Fergie has many more adventures in store for her.  I think next summer I will take her to my brother's and see how she likes to swim.  But right now she is content to snuggle on the couch.


No comments:

Post a Comment